Gumball Machine

Inspiration:

I was always fascinated by the gumball machine. One nice childhood memory that is stuck in my mind. I started this project searching for a cool mechanism to make and learn in 3D. I wanted something fun but also was thinking of something I could eventually use it with technology, wire it and transform it to something else (explained further below).


 

Sketching:

I started sketching the box. Decide to mix materials and add a plexi transparent cover to it, cut on the laser printer not the 3D one.

 

3D in Rhino:

A lot of details to take care off in this project, from openings to sizes to slightly rotating the inside panels…
I learned a lot.
After printing it, I figured that the inside panels need to be a bit thicker, to hold weight of the gumballs better.
The base of the box can be worked better in details add to it some magnet fillers instead of thinking of gluing it.


3D printing:

Cooking…

 

Final outcome:

The 3D outcome is still sketchy, specially for the big box. It took 8 hours of printing after narrowing down from 16.
I had to take off the support material too to reduce the printing time. Which cause trouble on the top, as there was a small opening for a plexi to fit and the opened space needed some support material.

However the other part turned out pretty well. and some took 3 to 4 hours, others 1 to 2.


Next step:

Next step is to reprint the white box properly to get better quality. And transform the gumball to a music gumball box by adding a conductive tape the panels or a touch sensor, using metal or gum balls to fall, wire it to arduino and Maxmsp and assign some music to them.

Ideas for final

I haven’t set my mind yet to what I will end up making for the final but here’s some of the thinking:

OPTION I

I have worked previously a wine cap stopper. I would like to develop it to a led lit one. It is no longer used to hold down the wine.
But to recycle the wine bottles into lit items used like mood interior.

Below some research I did  for inspiration and later on some sketches.

 

 

Option II

Is a light bulb wire made from  20 3D printed flowers, however though the roses are the same in color the design varies, it’s  not a repetition of the same rose petals, each rose within the same style but differently shaped, it’ll give it a more natural and organic feel.

I might want to change the rose concept and move to other shapes…

OPTION III

This option is a fun option but needs some mechanism research if I want to proceed with it.
the idea is to make a small functional machine or candy dispenser printed in 3D. Mixed with other media like transparent plexy slider over the printed box to show the transparency clearly (the candy). I will search for a mechanism that doesn’t require to insert a coin but a simple flip or turn of a bottom that would let the candy slide. a small fun slider for the candy is also doable.

Below samples for inspiration:

 

 

Bottle stopper cap

For this homework. We had to come up with a 3D design that fit into something.
I chose to do a 3D bottle stopper for wine.

So I started with truncated cone, moved to split its top to do some design it. I used Boolean to subtract a pattern from the top and closed the two entities with cap after.

Later on I added typography that says “Wine about it”. Used Boolean again to unify all
the solids together.

Final simulation.

Pen holder and else…

For This week I did a pen holder. I started simple with circles and cylinders. Life is easier with the boolean tool. I used both boolean intersection and boolean union, also used extrude tool.

 

And then I tried to play with typo, and make a pattern of it in 3D, Wanted to make it as piece that gets enlightened from down. But I think due to the complexity of the object the boolean wouldn’t take the shape.

Cactus pot

I like cactus, and it’s a good fit in a  3″x 3″ x 3″ space to make a cactus pot.
Initially I was inspired by the design  of this cactus pot, I like the randomness of the polygons or
different random triangular shapes…


for some reason I could figure out how to make the points of an object randomly editable.
So I went back to the classical shape that was easy to do with Revolve a tool we learned how to use in class.

end result: