Sunday 7,11. was a long day at the shop of ITP… It took some time to do the candle holder.
So this is how it started:
Initially I started the project wanting to do Dominoes, which I think at some point I really want to make that box, got scared that doing the sliding Domino box would be too complicated to do for the first time experimenting with the machines… So I moved to something simpler, and i thought of nice rounded coasters with a cool simple holder (better then a sliding box):
I started sketching on the coasters was convinced of the project. But when I started with the execution I started to face different difficulties:
-First one was linked to the cut of wood I bought:
I went to Prince Lumber on the 47th st. which is near where I live and I loved the place.
I bought long cuts of wood with almost a 2″ thickness… I thought at the shop there is a way to slice the thickness of the piece we got…
But I guess not, it’s too complicated.
So I went back to buy some more sheets of wood that are thin initially, chose to buy plywood0.5″ thickness, and another a bit thicker 1″ so I wouldn’t regret again.
-Second one was linked to the rounded shape:
I thought the rounded shape can be simply done with the press drilling machine. But no… it need the big the router, after checking the great tutorials videos
of my professor Ben Light, I also figured that doing circles for the first time won’t be easy, and that also I won’t get to use the big machines which was somehow
the purpose of this assignment.
So I finally decided to do candle holders. I was thinking of a shape that could be playful when put together (because they are multiples)
and I thought of the amazing honeycomb structure, a very famous structure in this universe. Polygons more precisely hexagons!
I searched and found some references:
But as I was afraid the structure would fail, I also decide to do in parallel squarish candle light holders.
I proceeded with the project:
I was able to cut the squarish holder good enough (like instructed in class) one blog of wood (using a stop to measure the length needed each time, instead of putting measurements for each square).
Then I made a different squarish size for the honeycombs, but had to add measurements to know exactly how to cut the angle needed:
When I used the big machines for the angles it worked at first but then I had to move to the other one because the pieces are small they can’t be held to cut.
Finally I ruined some, but was also to pull out the honeycombs in a fair condition:
Eventually we reached the phase in which we need to drill a hole for the candle… At the shop the tool is non-existent. So posting will continue tonight
as I will get the size I need and go back to do the holes and finish my holders. (to be continued tonight)
Monday 8, 11.
So I got the Spade Bits:
Great we have the holes! yes but… not yet cause the spade bit was 1.5 ” exactly the size of the candle, so it didn’t fit in the hole it needed bit more 1 or 2 millimeter, and the bigger spade was 2″ too big, I couldn’t find a 1 3/4″ spade bit don’t know if it exist. So I had to sand the inside with the dremel for 3 hours…. that was long.
But eventually it worked.
Now remains the painting and the finishing. Trying to figure out how. (to be continue with a final picture tonight).